I was starting to suspect that it might be something along these lines. NFSv3 hasn't been possible so far because the Terastation hacked firmware on this particular platform (TS Pro v1) doesn't seem to play nice with kernel-level nfs (userland nfs only has packages for v2, and I've been too intimidated to approach the idea of rolling my own so far.)

This explains a lot -- I thought maybe it might be the result of me running normal 32-bit i386 release on a 64-bit CPU. I will see if I can get NFS3 working.

(I guess MacOS X/Mach/BSDI treat the size value as unsigned...)

-John