On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:05:32PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> FYI

Thanks, Kris!

Hi James,

> ----- Forwarded message from "James A. Arnold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----
> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:56:17 -0500
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From: "James A. Arnold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: OpenSSL problem
>
> I now get this error when trying to run a shell program using wget
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/wget: Undefined symbol
> "OpenSSL_add_all_algorithms"
>
> any idea how to fix this? must have started when I update OpenSSL or
> some such nonsense.
> Please also reply to me email address as I can no longer subscribe to the
> list.

Here's what is happening: wget was compiled with OpenSSL 0.9.6.  But
now that you run it, it is finding OpenSSL 0.9.7 (which is not binary
compatibile).  To determine why that is, the output from the following
will be helpful:

   % ldd /usr/local/bin/wget
   % objdump -x /usr/local/bin/wget | grep NEEDED
   % ls -l /usr/lib/libcrypto.so*
   % ls -l /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so*

This is what I guess:  At some time in the past, you installed the
OpenSSL port, and then you built the wget port.  Now, perhaps you've
removed the OpenSSL port.  This leaves a very confused wget:  It wants
OpenSSL 0.9.6 to be called libcrypto.so.3.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos