Jasvinder S. Bahra wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to setup CUPS (in a jail) using an old parallel port printer on my server machine.

I used ezjail to create a jail and then installed CUPS. I've got it up and running, and I can access the administration website.

However, as far as I can tell, the admin website doesn't seem to offer any options regarding the parallel port. Following some research, I believe I somehow needs to create a /dev/lpt0 entry, *in* the jail.

Now, that entry exists on the jail's host system, but theres a limited list of entries in the jail's /dev directory. If I do a "ls -al /dev" (less quotes) in the jail, I get the following...

[r...@pearl cups]# ls -al /dev
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       512 Feb 22 19:04 fd
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        14 Feb 22 19:04 log -> ../var/run/log
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  16 Feb 22 19:22 null
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0, 122 Feb 22 19:28 ptyp0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,   8 Feb 22 19:04 random
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         4 Feb 22 19:04 stderr -> fd/2
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         4 Feb 22 19:04 stdin -> fd/0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         4 Feb 22 19:04 stdout -> fd/1
crw--w----  1 jazz  tty      0, 123 Feb 22 19:28 ttyp0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         6 Feb 22 19:04 urandom -> random
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  17 Feb 22 19:04 zero

Does anyone know how I go about providing the jail with a link to lpt0?

Thanks,

Jazz

I've never used ezjail, as I usually setup jails myself. With that said, access to dev entries within jail are/can be controlled by devfs rules. The configuration for your rules is "administrator dependant". More specifically, you should find a line in your rc.conf that looks similar to the following:

jail_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"

This defines the ruleset used for your jails. Knowing this, you can now edit your rules file (/etc/devfs.rules) and add appropriate entries for your printer and associated devices.

~Paul