Canonical way to boot FreeBSD by hand, with no tools.  Using one slice, one
partition

fdisk -BI /dev/da0
bsdlabel -Bw /dev/da0s1
newfs /dev/da0s1a

Making sure there's a /boot directory with the all important loader
Making sure /boot/kernel/kernel exists

This should boot -- however is pretty pointless without anything else.
init's needed, and everything else to make a full MUM (Multi User Mode)
environment...

Keep note that not only does the MBR need bootable code, so does the
bsdlabel/disklabel

newfs will set the proper fstype in the bsdlabel if it's partition is 'a'

Good luck... and yes, I top posted.  (Deal with it, people who don't like
it...)