Mister Olli wrote:
Hi hi...

What is the best way to monitor geom software raids (gmirror & gvinum
raid5)???

The solution I'm searching for should be a kind of script which checks
the status, and drops me an email if something is wrong.

I found a nagios plugin, but currently I'm unable to invest enough time
to get nagios up and running for the customer...

Thanks a lot...

greetz
Olli

I monitor some machines with geom mirrors via Nagios/SNMP.

In nagios:
define service{
   host_name                       host.name.com
   service_description             gmirror
   check_command                   check_snmp!1!0!UCD-SNMP-MIB::extOutput.1
}

On the machine in snmpd.conf (net-snmp):
exec gmirror /usr/local/sbin/checkgmirror

The script:
#!/bin/sh

mirrorstate=`/sbin/gmirror list | /usr/bin/grep ^State |\
        /usr/bin/awk '{print $2}'`

if [ $mirrorstate != "COMPLETE" ]
  then
    echo "1"
  else
    echo "0"
fi

Besides crafthing something of your own, there is also: /usr/ports/net-mgmt/nagios-geom

This is a small Nagios plugin written in PERL and designed to monitor
the state of FreeBSD GEOM devices (specifically mirrors and striped
volumes) from Nagios.

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/ntb4real/proj/geom.htm

To use in Nagios:

In checkcommands.cfg:
define command{
        command_name    check_geom
        command_line    $USER1$/check_geom $ARG1$ $ARG2$
        }

In your host.cfg:
define service{
        use                             local-service
        host_name                       host.name.conf
        service_description             mirror
        check_command                   check_geom!mirror!gm0
        }