David Banning wrote:
[snip]

>> Please forgive if I seem a trifle dense, but how did you go about
>> installing? If done using the ports system, as part of the process
>> linux_compat and various linux-* ports should have installed as
>> dependencies. Perhaps the install succeeded but left out linux_load="YES"
>> from /boot/loader.conf?
>>
> I installed from the ports - (FreeBSD 3s1.com 6.2-RELEASE)
> but it didn't touch the /boot/loader.conf file.
>
> Is there a way to load this without rebooting?

Yes - kldload linux.ko That is provided that the linuxolator was actually
installed as it should have been. See below. Placing linux_load="YES" in
loader.conf will just ensure it's always loaded at every boot.

>> Possibly it may be one of the few things that need linprocfs_load="YES"
>> too, but I doubt this because there would be a different error.
>>
> I'll look at that.

Probably not required. IIRC the error associated with this is pretty clear.

>> I would expect it to be looking for the library referenced above
>> somewhere below the /compat or /usr/compat (the first is a link) which is
>> where the linuxolator resides. This library should be being provided by
>> the linux- gtk2-2.6.10_1 port. Since the acroread8 is a linux blob it
>> should be using the linuxolator to run.
>>

> The acroread8 port did not install linux-gtk2

Maybe something b0rked in dependency land. I believe the object failing to
load is part of this port. You can install it manually. Here is what the
ports says on the web site:

acroread8-8.1.3_1
    Adobe Reader for view, print, and search PDF documents (ENU)
    Long description : Sources : Changes : Download
    Maintained by: h...@freebsd.org
    Also listed in: linux
    Requires: acroreadwrapper-0.0.20080906, hicolor-icon-theme-0.10_2,
            linux-atk-1.9.1_1, linux-cairo-1.0.2, linux-expat-1.95.8,
            linux-fontconfig-2.2.3_7, linux-gtk2-2.6.10_1,
            linux-hicolor-icon-theme-0.5_1, linux-jpeg-6b.34,
            linux-nvu-1.0_1, linux-pango-1.10.2_1, linux-png-1.2.8_2,
            linux-scim-gtk-fc4-1.4.4, linux-scim-libs-fc4-1.4.4_1,
            linux-tiff-3.7.1, linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5, linux_base-fc-4_14

Theoretically dependency tracking in the ports system should have installed
all of these, and anything they in turn depend on.

Also notice that the default linux version is fedora core 4 which is rather
old. It is entirely possible that even with all of the other dependencies
above properly installed it could still fail if the binary blob from Adobe
was compiled against a later version. If such were the case I'd imagine
someone would have pinged the port maintainer by now, so I sort of discount
the possibility.

One clue is the default behavior inherent in acroread8 is it will fall back
to trying to use FreeBSD libs in place of the linux versions it can't find.
This is what your errors are displaying.

-Mike