Kalle Møller wrote:
Hi

I've been digging around, but I can't find a clear answer, which of those
two is the "correct" to use. Hence I don't use one now, so if I'm going to
learn one, I would prefer it to be the right one.

There is not necessarily a correct answer, either is "correct". However it is generally much more efficient and easier to run portsnap. However portsnap wouldn't help if you're trying to upgrade(or downgrade) your current version of FBSD. Some will setup cron jobs to update ports tree daily, other do it on an as needed basis. Personally, my home desktop I generally update ports a least once a week, while some servers will rarely if ever see an updated ports tree. In general, it's nice to be considerate of bandwidth, so if you don't need it don't run it. freebsd-update is another matter though. Base system security updates are distributed via that channel(binary updates) so it's a good idea to run that regularly.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator