On Apr 5, 2009, at 4:41 AM, Glen Barber wrote:

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 2:59 AM, John Almberg <jalmb...@identry.com> wrote:
Blast... my beautiful FreeBSD servers were rudely switched off when my data had a power outage a couple hours ago. They restored power about 30 minutes
later, and one box came up no problem.

The other has a login prompt on the serial console, but my login does not work. I get a "Login incorrect" message, even though the username/ password
is correct.

Can you log in as *any* user?  Even root login fails?

Can't log in at all.

When I try to SSH into the box, I get this (server name changed):

$ ssh u...@example.com -p 48420
ssh: connect to host example.com port 48420: Connection refused

In other words, I seem to be locked out.

I don't want to do anything drastic without having a good idea what I'm
doing. Any suggestions, much appreciated.

What was the previous (estimated) uptime on the machine?

Several months, at least.

In other
words, did you change something and not/forget to restart the service?

I don't believe so, but if I forgot it, then I guess anything is possible.

 Have you tried ssh-ing to port 22 to see if the setting was changed
back to default?

I can't at the moment, because the guys at NYI are working on the box. They have run fsck, which doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

Are there any other services on this box?  If so, are they running?

The main app is MySQL. I don't think it is running, but can't really tell unless I can log in.

I have backups, and while NYI is trying to get this box running, I'm setting up a new database server, just in case...

-- John