Paul B. Mahol wrote:
On 4/5/09, manish jain <invalid.poin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

In attempting to unlock some Python related mysteries (which neither
python-list nor python-help would respond to despite repeated queries),
I found myself recursively portupgrading myself right up the xorg
distribution. That wasn't half as bad as the fact that - after all that
effort - X does not even start now.

Use vesa driver instead, and direct intel driver questions to Xorg lists.
i810, driver that you used with old Xorg is abandoned and replaced with intel.

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the information. But, as for the plan of action, I think I'll go the other way round. I'll reinstall FreeBSD 7.1 from scratch and just make sure nobody ever touches my xorg setup again. I could upgrade my system, yes, but my Celeron Coppermine 800 MHz + Intel 810-based motherboard system was running just as fast as the fancy 2.0 GHz PC's at IBM where I was working last year.

BTW, I seriously wish I were a billionaire so that I could help FreeBSD get rid of this X client-server nuisance forever. I have never seen anything so ill-conceived, pathetically fragmented (modular is the polite way of referring to it), inefficient and featureless.

The Mission looks Impossible-3 but, for starters, I just got a job offer yesterday from a multinational where the pay is roughly 50% higher.

So maybe, someday,  ...     :-)

--

Thank you and Regards
Manish Jain

NB : Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.