Karl Vogel wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:21:17 -0500, "Gary Gatten" <ggat...@waddell.com> said:

G> I've been playing with various flavors of *nix off and on for almost twenty
G> years, but not doing much development the make process often causes me
G> issues - as is the case with samba.

   This is why I only use the ports system for small, simple builds like
   rsync.  For anything major (Perl, OpenSSH, OpenSSL, Apache ...) I either
   use a pre-built package or build directly from source.  I used these
   commands for my most recent Samba build:

   me% CC=gcc ./configure --with-acl-support \
      --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc \
      --prefix=/usr/local
   me% make
   root# make install

   I use a (fairly generic) script to handle starting and stopping Samba
   cleanly.  It also handles log rotation.  It's attached below, if you're
   interested.  The "killpg" program used is derived from kill, but sends its
   signals to a process group instead of a process.

How do you handle major builds that use FBSD specific patches....asterisk for example?

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator