Martin McCormick wrote:
the normal output of the history command resembles:

    1  env
    2  ssh system1.somedomain.com
    3  scan cur

etc.

        On occasion, I have seen a history output that shows the
list of commands plus the time they were executed. I am not sure
exactly how I got that output as I couldn't duplicate it on
demand. Any ideas on what I did to get that alternative output?

tcsh(1) includes timestamps in it's .history.  bash(1) doesn't.
Not sure about other shells, but the historical (ahem!) behaviour
of csh(1) was not to use timestamps, and I think most shells subsequently developed have carried on the same history format, with
tcsh(1) being the exception.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                 Flat 3