Ghirai wrote:
The author suggested that increasing the default value of 8 to 16
resulted in increased read speed, and that increasing it further
resulted in no noticeable performance gain.

Personally, I've seen changes in vfs.read_max to provide anywhere from a 50-100% improvement in disk read performance. As you have also found, the "sweet spot" is sometimes higher than 16. I've seen significant benefits up to vfs.read_max=128 on *some* disk controllers. It really seems dependent on the disks/controllers, but setting 16 has always shown a significant improvement over the default 8 for me.