Charlie Kester writes:

>  >    I am actively building the parts list for a new system, and
>  >would welcome advice on motherboards.
>
>  It might help others give you good advice if you provide some more
>  information.
>
>  What's the intended use of this machine?

        A moderate amount of many things, some but not not necessarily
all at the same time.  It needs to do nothing superbly, but many
things average or (preferably) better.
        One factor: the machine this replaces is eight years old.  It
is possible this machine will have to last that long.

>  Is price or power consumption a concern?

        The budget is not infinite, and there's a reason the spec
includes "expandability".  On the other hand, I'm a long-time
advocate of the notion it pays to buy quality; for carefully
vetted parts things can be stretched.
        Power consumption is on the 'B' list, as is noise.  Is the
difference between the Q9550 and Q9550S worth $100?
Ma-a-a-a-a-ybe.

                                        Robert Huff