Are there any tools or tricks for doing this?

possibly it's compatible but if you are not sure use db<version>_dump and _load to dump and restore data.

Thanks, I've had a look at the dump and load utilities, they have no man page

it's not FreeBSD but GNU. No man is equivalent of "read documentation in info or out webpage" ;)

:( dump works fine, or so I assume. But load fails, it appears that db_load won't create a new db file if it does not exist, and creating an empty file with touch fails too:

alpha$ db_dump-4.3 -f cn.bdb.dump cn.bdb
alpha$ db_load-4.6 -f cn.bdb.dump cn46.bdb
db_load-4.6: Program version 4.6 doesn't match environment version 0.154
db_load-4.6: DB_ENV->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment version mismatch

ups. really i use only db4.1 and it worked

don't you have mixed libs and executables. looks like this.