I edit python code in vim using Terminal on xfce.  I find myself, not
surprisingly, having to exit "insert mode" and save changes frequently (when making code changes and wishing to test the immediate effects of
the changes in a separate terminal).  This requires pressing 4 keys:
"esc", ":", "w", and "enter". How can I configure a shortcut (ideally
using an F# key) that will perform this sequence of 4 key-presses?

This would rather be a question for the Vim mailing list.

The purpose of the sleep is that you see the "written" message.

It may be off topic, but also very cool! Thanks for the question and the answer.

-- John