On Mon 22 Jun 2009 at 13:48:02 PDT RW wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:58:41 +0100
Chris Whitehouse <cwhi...@onetel.com> wrote:

I'll probably get flamed for this but since I've been using
ports-mgmt/portmanager I've almost forgotten
about /usr/ports/UPDATING and all that pkgdb -Fu stuff or whatever it
was. I've upgraded ports just by doing 'portmanager -u' over one or
two quite major changes and not had any problems that haven't been
down to an individual ports.

You still need to read UPDATING, portmanager handles some of the issues
automatically, but not all.

that durned human element again!

would be nice if a port upgrade tool did that for you, displayed any
entries related to ports that need updating, and gave you a chance to
postpone the update until you've taken whatever actions UPDATING
suggests

would require UPDATING to be written in a consistent, machine-readable
format