Jos Chrispijn wrote:

Daniel Underwood wrote:
laptop to connect to the server.  Due to the speed and location of the
connection, it's a relatively high-risk target.
Can you tell me what you mean with that? I mean, imho a server must been consider always a risk target.
Perhaps I don't understand.

As I believe has already been answered in this thread, the better connected a server is to the Internet, the higher its value to several varieties of miscreants. Given a choice between a server connected via a close to saturated T1 somewhere in the back waters of the Internet and a server with multiple 100mbps+ connections to key backbones, somebody interested in staging DOS attacks or using the server as a base to "explore" other networks or ... is likely to find the latter server of greater interest. About the only advantage I can think of for the former is that it's probably, other things being equal, less likely to be properly maintained and monitored.

--

--Jon Radel
j...@radel.com