At 2003-03-05T18:04:14Z, Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Since kernels have to support old binaries, but not vice versa, you can
> usually reboot with the new kernel and old world and have it work.

Sometimes, though you can't.  I've found myself in the situation where the
old version of vinum(8) wouldn't run against the new kernel, further
complicated by the fact that the new vinum was in /usr/obj, which is on a
vinum volume.

This hasn't been a problem in well over a year, but it bit me hard once.  Is
there an officially-supported guaranteed-to-work method for handling this?
I've been doing:

  make buildworld
  cp /usr/obj/usr/src/sbin/vinum/vinum /sbin/vinum.new

just in case.  Is this still a necessary step?
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.