Richard Shea wrote:
Hi - I've got a FreeBSD machine from which I can use 'Mail' to send
emails to any internet email address. However when I try to use it as a
SMTP server from within the LAN the connection times out.

I'm sure there are many places I could look for a solution but I just
wanted to check one thing. If I can use 'Mail' to send emails does this
imply that the FreeBSD box is running a SMTP server which could send mail
on behalf of clients (within the LAN)?

No. Sendmail can be run in different modes. It's likely that yours is configured for local mail submission only.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies