>Not directly FreeBSD related, but how much of a chance is there that two
>machines could communicate directly over 5,000 feet of cat5 with no
>special hardware?
>
>IIRC the classic Ethernet problem limiting the distance between the
>farthest points on a network had to do with timing and collisions. If
>these two NICs are configured full duplex then it seems one would have
>no idea how far away the other was due to timing issues.
>
>100baseT uses lower power drivers than 10baseT, so perhaps 10baseT would
>work better.

>In any case, have boxes of cat5 on order so as to find out myself.

>Are there any particular range extenders you have used and would
>recommend for making this task a sure thing on the first try? Perhaps I
>should put an inexpensive Ethernet switch at each junction to serve as a
>regenerative repeater?

I must say that all the information about Ethernet you have gotten about this
has been quite interesting , but it seems a lot of people forgot that a simple
answer is often the best answer.  Basically you don't need to know all the info
about timing and how Ethernet handles collisions.  What you do need to know is
that many people have research this, and that's why Cat5 cable standard has a
maximum length of 100 meters or 328 feet, they have found this to be the
maximum length that it reliably works.  In order to go 5000 feet, you would
actually need 15 repeaters.  I have never tried to string that many switches or
repeaters together though in my experience if you buy this many low end
switches you will likely have one bad one in the bunch.  Plus there's a lot of
places you would need power, and if this is outside now you have to take the
weather into account.
It's unfortunate that wireless was ruled out as this would be the easiest
method, and likely the cheapest.  The next option I would look to is definitely
fiber as you had mentioned before.  I have only ordered fiber through our
installer they come out string it polish and terminate the ends.  Then we just
plug in the patch cables.  As for a supplier I checked some of the major
vendors we use for cabling, they all offer only patch cables for fiber, my
guess is that if you need to buy a spool, it would have to be from a whole sale
outfit, and then you would need someone to put the ends on.  Your best bet
would be to search for data and communication cable installation services in
your area.  I would still quote wireless if it's feasible in the location as
your customer (or management if this is for an in house operation) may change
their mind after presented with the cost of a temporary fiber installation, and
the problems a cat5 run would require overcoming.
Hope this helps some,
Thanks,
     Dean Weimer
     Network Administrator