2009/7/25 Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questi...@mailing.thruhere.net>:
> On Friday 24 July 2009 14:57:13 Axel wrote:
>
>> So far, so good. But what about the other daemons that still seem to run
>> after upgrade (Apache, Courier IMAP etc)? Are the new version running
>> fine after the upgrade, or should I set AFTERINSTALL to do a restart of
>> these daemons, to make sure they run the upgraded version?
>
> I don't know about Courier, but Apache is generally not affected by on-disk
> versions of libraries. The CGI programs however, are, since they're started up
> and shutdown with each request (or in the case of FCGI in X requests) - the
> Apache workers are spawned from the root process and use that process image.
>
> So there is no definite need to shut down Apache and disrupt service. If a
> running webserver is important to you, I also would not do this automatically.
> For example, jpeg could be upgraded before Apache and a module for Apache
> needing it, yet this module is depending on Apache and therefore not
> recompiled yet. As a result, this module tries to load a non-existing library
> and Apache restart will fail.
> --
> Mel

If you want to restart Apache without killing existing sessions, just use

amnesiac# apachectl graceful

However, watch out for Mel's point about missing libraries.... But I
would still do that; downtime after forcing a restart is better than
downtime at some random point when it discovers the missing
libraries....

Chris