John Nielsen wrote:
On Wednesday 19 August 2009 12:17:10 Scott Schappell wrote:
In a parallel sort of thread to the current desktop thread, when I
installed FreeBSD 7.2 since I had plenty of disk space and memory I
installed X, however, I don't need it or really want it.

How can I pare that out of the system short of doing a complete rebuild?

Install and run pkg-cutleaves, and let it loop through as many iterations as it needs.

To be safe, after you have deleted leaf ports you can install ports-mgmt/portmanager and run 'portmanager -s' redirected to a file then you will have a list of any missing ports. 'portmanager -u' will reinstall them for you. Of course you can probably do the same with portmaster or portupgrade but I've found portmanager does a pretty good job.