Ruben de Groot wrote:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 04:56:03PM +0300, Nikos Vassiliadis typed:
RW wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:45:47 -0400
John Almberg <jalmb...@identry.com> wrote:

Question: is it possible to just expand my existing /backup
partition to encompass both the current drive and the new drive? I'm
guessing not, since Chapter 8 in "Absolute FreeBSD" says that a
partition is part of a slice,
You can join 2 partitions into 1 with gconcat. OTOH that would wipe any
existing data as you would need to put a new filesystem on the combined
partition.
No, you can always use growfs to expand the filesystem.
But of course, the usual warnings apply, read carefully the
growfs manual...

You can not use growfs to expand a gconcat provider to the new gconcat device.

What I mean is:
1) you have a filesystem on device A and a spare disk device B
2) concatenate A and B using gconcat
3) growfs the fs in the concatenated device and you are done.

Nikos