We have been bought out, and the new powers that be, are changing things.
They have decreed that there shall be no static entries in their DNS
servers. They are using $MS DHCP/DNS servers. I have a corporate supported
Win XP laptop, which I can plug in at various places in the network. It
gets different IP addresses, based upon where it physically is, but always
comes up with the same name.

I have several machines (such as a mailserver) which _MUST_ have fixed
names. I have played around with /etc/dhcllient.conf, but not managed to
get this working. I can get IP addresses, and various things such as
default routers, and DNS servers, but I have not managed to get the
suggested name put in their DNS.

I have captured packet traces with wireshark from the laptop, and from the
FreebSD client, and I am putting these up at http://beachcave.net/pdumps.

I would really appreciate it if someone more familiar with DHCP that I
could take a look at theses.

Thanks.

programs.