On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:55:05 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com>
wrote:
> All of my cards are ATI and I don't know of the "mtrr" problem you're
> talking about.  This X1650 works fine on i386 with both 7-STABLE and
> 8-STABLE.

I had an old-fashioned ATI Radeon 9200 RV250 AGP with both a VGA
and a VGA-on-DVI monitor. With also old-fashioned XFree86 this
setting worked good performance-wise, which was in FreeBSD 5,
but I haven't tested this in FreeBSD 7 with Xorg yet because
I'm very upset about the speed-loss of "modern" software. :-(
Furthermore, I don't have the second 21" CRT anymore, so no
dual-head for me at the moment.

I am nearly sure that for today's requirements, Intel GPUs
seem to be the most fitting ones, but as I don't own any of
them, I can't give you clues from a user's point of view.
In the past, ATI always was my first choice, but today, I
would triple-check anything.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany