Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
Hi all,
I have experienced situations where the HylaFAX faxgetty process hangs beyond all efforts to restart it. Usually a "kill -HUP 1 <PID>" would suffice but sometimes it freezes completely.

How can I fix this without rebooting which is rather difficult as same machine is our smb-server?

4.7-RELEASE, hylafax 4.1.5, /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty /dev/cuaa0

Can you 'kill -KILL' the process? init should restart it if it dies by any means, but if it's hung bad enough to ignore a -HUP, you may have to be more forceful. I'm not sure if this will leave the modem hung ... but it shouldn't.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies