Rob Hurle said the following on 2009-10-26 02:33:

freebsd [12:12] /usr/ports#ll /dev/da0s1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 122 26 Oct 09:02 /dev/da0s1
freebsd [12:12] /usr/ports#ntfs-3g -o rw /dev/da0s1 /mnt
fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory

kldload fusefs
What does ls -la /dev/da* show you.

So the device is there, but ntfs-3g fails to see it.

Probably kldload fusefs isn't loaded (until Saturday)

 Obviously
mount_ntfs sees it OK, from my previous experiments.  ntfs-3g.probe
exits with no errors, so it appears that it can see it OK:

freebsd [12:32] ~#ntfs-3g.probe --readwrite /dev/da0s1
freebsd [12:32] ~#

Is there something else that I need to install?

If you are not going to use the disc to transfer data between Windows
and FreeBSD, I would advise you to repartition the disk and create an
NTFS partition for your windows data and a FreeBSD partition in UFS

Unfortunately, this is not the case.  I need to transfer between
FreeBSD and Windows, both ways :-(  Thanks again.

Rob Hurle