Gary Kline wrote:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 02:09:50PM +0200, Ross Cameron wrote:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 04:44:42PM -0700, Kurt Buff wrote:
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 16:08, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:02:37PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:48:46 -0700, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org>
wrote:
    so: what is the URL to download the 8.0-PRE freebsd....?
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/8.0/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/8.0/
       wait, i thought the duo core is 64bits.  still 32?
This:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/8.0/

is indeed 64bit.

        Yes! but i bought the *Intel* 2-duo-core or whatever; not the
       AMD (aDvanced micro Devices) chip.  Are these both bit by bit
       == ??  i mean, exactly--software-wise, the same??

       thanks.

       gary

       ps i knew the amd was an intel clone on the 32-bit level; not
       sure about the 64-bit chips... .

Intel licensed the AMD64 instruction set and they call it Intel 64 in their
chips.
    Most free UNIX-like systems call the x86_64 releases AMD64 because thats
the correct name for the instruction set.

        Well, I was just a bit behind the times; like four or five
        years.  But thanks to several wiki articles, that's resolved.
Nutshell is that I just finished burning the bootonly.iso. Now, if the power holds and I get the 8.0-RC2 running on the
        Dell, there's hope.

        And for my next trick: I'm ordering a UPS.  It is only for the
DNS server and firefall (pfSense). I'll either refurb the current computer or buy a newer 32-bit for the firewall. I'd like suggestions on which UPS to buy. Figuring the Dell Duo and a standard Intel box, would 250w be a good enough SWAG?

        gary

--
"Opportunity is most often missed by people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work."

Aloha Gary,

If that used computer place has UPS get a couple and get new batteries for them if they are not refurbished.

I got 2 used free beacuse the batteries were dead and took out the small batteries and installed the standard 100 amp hour batteries to back up 6 servers 2 years ago. I too was having up to 10 hour power outages.Now the backup will go for at least 10 hours with no line power. We had a 6 hour outage last fall and the system kept right on working.

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
  < email: n...@hdk5.net >