>If you could elaborate more on the goal you are seeking, other useful
>information could come from this list. At the moment, it's just my wild
>guessing. :-)

I have a bootable FreeBSD image on a USB stick that clones itself on the target
system's hard drive, creating partitions and other configuration as defined in
the cloning logic. The /etc/fstab on the USB image is hard coded to mount root
(/) from /dev/da0s1a. However, other systems where the hard drives use the same
prefix as the USB stick, the fstab on the stick is incorrect (it would need to
be /dev/da4s1a on systems with four SCSI drives since those disks would be
names da0-da3).

So what we really want is a way to solve this problem--Have a generic bootable
USB drive that doesn't need to have a custom fstab for different kinds of
systems.