On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, John wrote:
Regarding ports, I think I'll take the long route. This box is my main
machine, my desktop - and so there are a LOT of ports installed. It will
be easier to make portmanager rebuild everything in pristine mode. It
will take a long time, but I accept this. Before this is done, I run the
built-in routines in /usr/ports - clean out */work/* and distfiles.

It's a fast machine though - shouldn't take too long. What I'm thinking
about now is speeding up make. There are two cores in this CPU. Can I
specify -j2 ? Is it one per core or more?

This is now supposed to happen automatically on ports that are safe to build with multiple jobs. Offhand I don't know how to show what's really happening other than something crude like watching top.