I am just trying to find out if theres an easier way to do this.

currently to get wireless to work on my system, i have to clone the wireless
interface to a wlan0 interface to actually do any real connections. My home
network uses WPA2 encryption so i use the wpa-supplicant to set that up, but if
i go out and about and hit free wifi spots, I have to add the info for them
into the wpa-supplicant.conf file to get it to access it.

keep in mind that ideally I use the latest gnome as my desktop. is there an
easier tool to do this all with? I remember there was an issue with the
gnome-network tool that it could not actually make any changes in freebsd, but
i cannot find if that is still true or if it has been fixed.

End goal, I am trying to get this set up to be equally as idiot-proof as most
linux distros in case i have to hand this off to someone a bit less technically
inclined.

sorry if this is a bit hard to read, i have ADHD so it someti..OHLOOKASQUIRREL

-Sean