Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 02:09:58AM +0100, Rolf Nielsen wrote:
Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
I'm creating binary files in fortran.
Fortran adds 4 byte record delimiters at the beginning
and the end of each record, which, in the case of a binary
file, is just at the beginning and at the end of the file.
I need to delete these record delimiters, because the
software I use to visualise the binary files interprets
them as data. But I don't know how. I've looked at
hexdump and od, but those are only dumping (I think)
file contents, and I cannot see how to edit a file with them.

Any advice?

many thanks
anton

Hello Anton,

My bet would be /usr/ports/editors/hexedit. Been a while since I've used it, but AFAIR, it has a curses or a curses like interface, and it's fairly simple to use, yet sufficiently powerful for most normal binary editing. If you want a GUI, I believe gnome (and probably KDE as well) has its own hex editor.

thank you. hexedit does the job on small files, but is quite
clunky. If I've a xGB file and I need to delete the first and
the last record, this becomes quite hard, if at all possible.

I didn't appreciate it's not that simple.

Perhaps I can read a file with C and write back? I can't
remember if C supports binary files, and whether it
also writes some record delimiters.

many thanks
anton

How about one of these then?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/editors/bless/pkg-descr
Main Features
-------------
  * Efficient editing of large data files.
  * Multilevel undo - redo operations.
  * Customizable data views.
  * Fast data rendering on screen.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/editors/lfhex/pkg-descr
Features:
- Low memory usage with respect to filesize. Opening a 2gig file requires
     only ~1.4megs of additional memory.
   - Fast load times.
   - Fast save times.
   - Infinite undo/redo.
   - Conversion dialog
   - Search function.
   - Shows modified regions in alternate color.
   - Scalable working area. Resize can use as much screen as you give it.
   - Multiple editing modes (can switch on the fly)
   - Runtime configurable bytes per column.
   - binary comparison user interface

I haven't tried either of them myself, but they do look promising.

Rolf