Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 09:33:49AM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
per...@pluto.rain.com wrote:
Greg Larkin <glar...@freebsd.org> wrote:
truncate -4 myfile should get rid of the last four bytes.  Maybe
there's a similar efficient way to truncate the start of a file.
This should do it:

dd if=oldfile of=newfile bs=1 skip=4
Or, perhaps marginally more efficient:

dd if=oldfile of=newfile bs=4 skip=1
It would be nice to avoid the file copy, but maybe there's no way to do that. The small buffer size for dd will probably make copies of multi-gig files slow. This might be faster:

tail -c +5 myfile > outfile
truncate -4 outfile

(Has anyone mentioned that you can edit binary files interactively with vi yet? No? Well, it's horrific and surely has interesting failure modes. And there are probably disadvantages also.)

Vim, yes. I tried, but failed. At the moment dd/truncate combination
seems the most appealing. But I'll look at C/perl/python proposed
solutions as well.

many thanks