The fellow who showed some interest in my need for some kybd
        feedback is a volunteer from Gallaudet U.  Altho it is "unlikely"
        that I'll get a free "XO" to hack on, the chances are better if I
        have some kind of team.

        The obvious "conflict"--if it can be called that--is that the XO
        is Red Hat.  Another thing is that I know virtually nothing about
        the Linux kernel.  With FBSD, I'm looking at the dev/* files I have
        to work with.  requests for Help on the Linux side are not
        necessary.

        Obviously, anything I come up with can very likely be ported to the
        Linux kernel if they want it.  I'm making no claim whatsoever on
        whatever kind of clicky thing I can hack.

        There are other ways of doing this, but I want the clicks to be
        available with or without X11.  xset.c relies on the Xlib stuff
        that I started hacking on in 1996; gave it up after six months.
        Bottom line is that my text-to-speech app should be usable from
        a cheap notebook without X to a clunky ThinkPad with/without X.

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php