I don't know why you shout. (?)

Fbsd1 schrieb:
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
Fbsd1 schrieb:
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
I installed FreeBSD 8.0 on an USB-stick and was able to boot it on my Desktop PC and install 8.0
from it.

DO YOU MEAN YOU INSTALLED THE 8.0 ISO ON A USB STICK. BOOTED FROM IT AS INSTALL SOURCE AND INSTALLED 8.0 ON A DESKTOP PC TO THE MOTHERBOARD CABLED HARD DRIVE??? OR DO YOU MEAN YOU INSTALLED 8.0 ON A DESKTOP PC TO ANOTHER USB STICK???

The former, I copied the 8.0 iso image to an USB stick, booted it and installed it to the desktop PCs hard drive. That was one story. The other point is, that I now wanted to plug this USB stick into my Dell inspiron and install FreeBSD in the same manner to a free partition on my notebooks hard drive.

Now I plugged the same stick into my Dell Inspiron 9400 and the USB stick (2GB) is not even listed in the F12 Bios boot menu.

YOU MEAN YOU PLUGGED THE STICK WITH THE ISO INSTALLED ON IT THAT THE DESKTOP BOOTED FROM???

Yes, that same stick booted the desktop but is not recognized in the F12 menu of my notebook.

Any clues?

--
Christoph

Older pc's have bios which do not have option to boot from USB stick.
I think that is so in your case. Check mfg website for bios update.
If not you are SOL. (shit outof luck)

I can boot USB sticks in general from that notebook/BIOS. That Dell 9400 isn't that old. Today I tried an another USB stick (16GB) an Ubuntu 9.04 boot image and it worked fine. I saw the boot device under F12 in the bootable device menu. It's definitely not the BIOS. Could be some partition problem (active partition?).
> Why is it part #4 btw, that FreeBSD resides in and not part #1 ?

LETS NOT GET CONFUSED WITH MSDOS /FREEBSD TERMS. IN FREEBSD A SLICE IS WHAT MSDOS CALLS A PARTITION. IN FREEBSD A PARTITION IS A FILE SYSTEM SUCH AS /, /USR, /VAR WITH IN THE SLICE. A SLICE IS MARKED AS ACTIVE MEANING ITS BOOTABLE. THE MBR

The FreeBSD fdisk program names it "partition".

(MASTER BOOT RECORD)PARTITION TABLE IS REALLY FREEBSD SLICE TABLE. FROM YOUR STATEMENT ABOVE YOU HAVE A MOTHERBOARD CABLED HARD DRIVE WITH 4 PARTITIONS/SLICES DEFINED IN THE MBR PARTITION TABLE. THE FIRST 3 PARTITIONS COULD BE HOLDING OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS THAT YOU MAY WANT TO BOOT FROM. IS THIS CORRECT?

Actually, I thought the USB stick had been blanked out before, but I'm nit sure and will look at it again.

> I followed some FreeBSD howto, if I'm not wrong, to bring the ISO
to the USB stick. Think it was a tool from HP to write it to the stick.

--
Christoph

I will come back with the results of the check below later.

--
Christoph

<!-- scripts deleted-- >