When migrating from 6.x to 7.x and to do system refreshes within a
given release branch, I did/do this:

        - Get sources
        - mergemaster -i
        - make buildworld buildkernel
        - go single user
        - make installworld installkernel
        - reboot

I now wish to do the same to get to the 8.x branch, BUT ... somewhere on
USENET, someone commented that you have to also reinstall/rebuild
all the packages/ports when you do this.  This was news to me.  Is there
some reason the entire application base has to be reinstalled when
moving to a new branch?  If so, has this always been the case or is it
new for 8.x?  My 6.x -> 7.x upgrade went flawlessly using the method
above without touching the ports/packages tree.

TIA,