On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Bill Tillman wrote:

I found many drivers for the HL-12xx models. I have used this in my previous setup with my old parallel server. I actually tried what you suggested and it only worked when using the parallel cable, not the USB. For some reason the USB connection on this and any other FreeBSD server I connect to is DOA for printing. I run mouse and keyboard via USB. But these print jobs are lining up in the queue and just sit there no matter how many times I reconnect the printer, or reboot it or reboot the computer. And once again I'm seeing two instances of lpd running when I only launched it from the command line once, no entry in /etc/rc.conf.

BigDell# ps -ax | grep lpd
 1311  ??  Is     0:00.00 lpd
 1329  ??  IE     0:00.00 lpd

One is the daemon, the other is the spawned job trying to send the print jobs and exit.

Found one more thing: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=10710
Try using the unlpt0 device.