Leonidas Tsampros wrote:
I'm pretty sure that a small difference in execution time does not mean
that the produced code is different.

Actually, execution time of a process is very sensitive to the environment of this process. See for instance:

http://www-plan.cs.colorado.edu/diwan/asplos09.pdf
  "We see that something external and orthogonal to the program,
   i.e., changing the size (in bytes) of an unused environment variable,
   can dramatically (frequently by about 33% and once by almost 300%)
   change the performance of our program."

(The quotation is taken out of the article.)

I learned about this in a message from Xavier Leroy to the OCaml mailing list:

http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2009/12/e261eeb95bec6c5a2791335c84234a05.en.html

Cheers,
Michaël