On Apr 27, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Drew White wrote:
> http://www.mavetju.org/mail/view_message.php?list=freebsd-questions&id=2614063
>
> My email address is showing up in google from this thread, I get a lot of
> spam at this email address... Is there anything we can do about this?

Nope, sorry.  Posting to a mailing list which is archived at dozens (if not
hundreds) of mirrors means the address is public.

> Perhaps turning off people's email address showing in these threads is
> possible.. Thank You - Trying to clean up.

Some mailing lists have attempted to obfuscate email addresses.  That seems to
be mostly futile, as spammers not only suck postings from lists directly before
some archive tries to obscure them on a webpage being displayed, the spammers
also use extensive dictionary attacks and will hit email addresses which have
never been published anywhere.

Using better anti-spam methods (including training your junk mail filter(s) on
ham vs spam) is doable, whereas hiding email addresses tends to not work.

Regards,
--
-Chuck