On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, David DEMELIER wrote:
2010/4/28 Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com>:
devfs.rules don't apply to devices that are created dynamically after
boot-up.  Or I guess they might be if you reload the ruleset with applyset
after the device is created, but devd is a lot more capable.

from devfs.rules(5) :

NAME
    devfs.rules ? devfs configuration information

DESCRIPTION
    The devfs.rules file provides an easy way to create and apply devfs(8)
    rules, *even for devices that are not available at boot.*

But devfs.rules is specially made for device not available at boot
such as usb keys.

Apparently I was thinking of devfs.conf. But I have had difficulties with devfs.rules and USB devices.