On 05/04/10 17:03, Warren Block wrote:
On Tue, 4 May 2010, Jimmie James wrote:

Along with not being to start xfce4 many times,

The workaround is to deinstall xfce4-session, or just keep trying until
xfce starts.

This let's me start XFCE4

I've also lost the resolution of 1600x1200 using any driver. Using the
VESA driver I can get 1280x1024 and start xfce4 all the time, using
the radeon, ati or radeonhd, 1600x1200 is "washed out".

All of this was working fine before the Xorg update. I can supply more
information if needed.

First, try starting X without an xorg.conf. It should use radeon and at
least give you an Xorg.log which identifies problems.

This gives me 1600x1200 @ 24bpp, however after a minute, or a few apps started, Xorg takes up 100% CPU and locks up the box. With the old config file, I still get the washed out look at 1600x1200. Oddly, if I only set 1280x1024 or lower, it wants to default to 1600x1200.

Without a xorg.conf file: http://pastebin.com/aiKzS62d
With xorg.conf file: http://pastebin.com/w8UsHBV6
xorg.conf file: http://pastebin.com/Zjh4FakN (I'm tweaking to get it working, so it may not be 100% with the log file)

If that doesn't work, try generating a new xorg.conf. Things that looked
weird in the current one: AllowEmptyInput (It's bad(TM)), DefaultDepth
16 (maybe due to limited VRAM), AccelMethod EXA commented, no 1600x1200
mode entry. And you have some Intel leftovers from the original that
won't hurt but look confusing.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it." -- Upton Sinclair
Sent from my MOBILE DEVICE while pooping