On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 01:00:57 +0300, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terie...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> i read the manuals about dump,but they say that if i take a back up of my
> "/" then dump will not make a backup for /home and /usr.
> my /home directory is empty but i need the /usr directory.
>
> what should i do?
>
> can you help me with the syntax of the dump command?

The dump command operates partition-wise. The common method
of using it is

        # dump -0Lauf <dumpfile> <partition>

The dumpfile can be on a removable media or on a network drive,
it can also be a tape.

In order to find out what to dump, see the output of "mount".
It shows the partitions you can dump, and in most cases, you
will dump all of them except the swap partition (which doesn't
show up in mount output anyway.

So, for example, you can do:

        # dump -0Lauf /mnt/ /dev/ad0s1a
        # dump -0Lauf /mnt/ /dev/ad0s1d

where your dump media is mounted in /mnt.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany