On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:28:49 +0300, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terie...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> YES i have read what everyone said and yes i gave the L command when i
> dumped the / but i didn't mounted / as read-only when i made the dump file.

That is okay - as long as -L (dump live file system) is given. But
I also do share the opinion to mount the partition I want to dump
as ro, or, more often (due to other technical reasons), don't have
the partition mounted at all, the safest method. (In my case, I'm
booting from a CD or USB stick to enter a simple, but customized
backup environment; partitions of the system aren't mounted, but
that's okay as backup "downtime" is not an issue. Then, dump files
are written using SSH to a network drive.)

> i don't know what u mean but i gave the command:"dump -0Lauf
> /mnt/hd/FBSD/root.dump /".

That's okay, it should have created a usable dump file. Just for
checking, those are the options:
        -0: Level 0 dump = full dump
        -L: Live dump = create snapshot, then dump from that
        -a: Auto-size = write dumpfile until target media is full
        -u: Update dumpdates = make entry in /etc/dumpdates
        -f: File = which file to dump to.
Looks correct.

> the output of the command ls -laF is:
>
> total 1
> > drwxr-xr-x 2 root  0 512 Nov 21 2009 ./
> > drwxr-xr-x 14 root  0 512 Jun 12 16:51 ../

Is this the /mnt directory? It appears to be empty - nothing has
been restored to it? That looks wrong (and contradicts the previous
presentation of at least three non-dot entries).

Did you mount your target disk (for the restore) rw into /mnt,
then change into /mnt, and run the restore command from there?

Allow me a final and quite generic note about dumping and restoring:
This is a process handling your precious data. Triple-check everything
you do. It's worth the time and work.

> i have to start the installiation from the begginging right?

I don't think so. If your dump file is intact (check its size -
it should be around 6.5 GB, if I remember correctly).

> the two slices have been merged,my previous system has been erased and my
> dump files are corrupted.

I'm not sure it is corrupted, at least your presentation of the
dump output doesn't seem to indicate that. I assume there's a
problem related to properly restoring the files.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany