On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 03:28 am, Mark Terribile wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several systems, one on 5.4 and two on 7.2 .  I keep
> the 5.4 system because every time I upgrade something breaks
> and cannot be fixed without (apparently) weeks of effort.  I
> *am* trying to get off it.
>
> Now: my 5.4 system is down until I replace some hardware.  In
> the meantime I need to burn about forty data CDs.  I've been
> using burncd on 5.4 but when I try it on 7.2 the drive and
> process lock up during the fixate step.  Clearing them
> requires a reboot.
>
> Does anyone have advice, pointers, etc.?  If you point me to
> pseudo-SCSI, please give me pointers to all parts of the
> solution, since the various man pages don't have proper links
> to each other.  (Hint to man page authors: the SEE ALSO
> entries are very important, and you must consider ALL levels,
> from other apps to the system calls used.)

I seem to recall having some difficulty when trying to burn CDs
on a DVD capable drive using burncd.
Some incompatibility of burncd and the DVD drives. I suspect
either the software or the drives have improved so that with
more modern components it works.

Meanwhile I believe I avoided the problem using atapicam and
cdrecord.

But I don't recall needing to reboot.

(And it could have all been a dream?)

Malcolm