> I am considering purchasing a toshiba libretto 110ct with a pentium 233
> mhz MMX processor.
>
> Is this speed/processor fast enough to play mpeg video and DVD movies from
> my hard drive, assuming I have _no_ hardware acceleration at all ?

I have an AMD K6-III 400 here, and I can watch DivX movies at 1024x768 using
mplayer, but only with xv support from an old ATI Rage II and with the
"-framedrop" option set.

Unfortunately, DVD playback does not work, although my DVD drive is working in
DMA mode. Replacing my ISA sound card with a PCI soundblaster did not help
either... (I am writing this because the mplayer documentation hints that a bad
sound card will slow down everything).

Simon