On 7/1/10 5:31 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
Hi, Chris

On 7/1/10 5:23 PM, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
Hello,

I setup my system using "packages". I have 675 "packages" installed
and 0 "ports" installed.

Q: Is there a simple way to replace each "package" with the locally
compiled "port"?

Ideally the procedure will not ask me any questions and will leave me
with 0 installed "packages" and 675 installed "ports".

You might have a look at ports-mgmt/portmaster. It will prompt you for
configuration settings before proceeding with building your ports.

I just want to add, that this is necessary when upgrading your existing software. Once "ports" or "packages" are installed, there is no differentiation to the system. The difference is that packages (installed via pkg_add(1)) are built once, when a new FreeBSD -RELEASE is out.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber