On 07/16/10 09:59, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
Jens Rehsack writes:
On 07/16/10 09:12, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
Jens Rehsack writes:

[...]

I cached the entires - I rate setpwent as to dangerous.

dangerous ? why ?

Because it modifies something - and I might not know the source.
getpwent(3) delivers entries from yp, too (or LDAP) etc. - and
when I call setpwent(3) for such an entry, what happens then?

Long explanation for: I do not know the consequences - and that's
why I rate it dangerous as workaround.

,---- an excerpt from getpwent(3)
[...]
`----

I can't see anything which says about modifying NSS database. AFAIK none of
the NSS routines allow you to write on database, you've to use the database
specific method to modify the database.

You're absolutely right - I never took a deeper look, because I always
was only interested to read the (user|group) data and expected setpwent
to modify such an entry.

A quick look into Stevens "Advanced Programming in the UNIX environment"
could had enlighten myself. Sorry that I didn't RTFM carefully.

Best regards and many, many thanks,
Jens