On Jul 7, 2010, at 10:12 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:

On Wed, July 7, 2010 2:20 am, mcoyles wrote:
Today I tried using "portupgrade -R -f samba34" to rebuild samba and all of its dependencies, but I'm still getting the same error. I'm a little surprised that a minor version upgrade broke this so thoroughly. I went back over the release notes to see if I missed any obvious caveats about
upgrading, but if I did, I'm not seeing it.

David - have a look here...
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-April/016405.html

OK, I see. It looks like rtld is part of world, not a port, so then the question becomes, why didn't freebsd-update update it for me? Is there a way I can force a binary upgrade, or do I need to download the source and
rebuild things that way?

I ended up downloading the 7.3 livefs ISO, booting off of it, and replacing /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 with the one from the CD. That fixed the problem.

I suspect the reason freebsd-update didn't upgrade it properly is it appears it's impossible to replace this file on a running system, even in single-user mode. Maybe there should be something in the release notes about a 7.2 -> 7.3 upgrade being impossible to do properly except by booting from CD?