Joshua Oreman wrote:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:38:48PM -0700 or thereabouts, darren_spruell wrote:

Filesystem = unknown. I am able to mount it under Windows 2000 Pro and in the
past on an identical FreeBSD box. I believe the command I used was 'mount
/dev/rda0 /mnt' and it worked, sometimes. Under Linux it mounts flawlessly
with 'mount /dev/sda /mnt'...

The device is not partitioned.

Now all my attempts under FreeBSD end in "...I/O error."

To find out the filesystem:
# file -s /dev/da0
This will run 'file' on the contents of the drive (-s flag) instead
of the drive itself (otherwise, it would say `character device' or
something).

Some common `mount' commands you could use:
If `file' says something about DOS or Windows:
# kldload msdosfs
# mount_msdosfs /dev/da0 /mnt
If `file' says it's UFS:
# mount /dev/da0 /mnt
If `file' says it's ext2:
# kldload ext2fs
# mount_ext2fs /dev/da0 /mnt
Otherwise, send me the output of the file command above and I'll see
what I can do.
Notes:
1) If you're running 4.x, replace 'msdosfs' with 'msdos' above.
2) `mount' wants /dev/da0, not /dev/rda0.

--
Darren Spruell
Sento IS Department

Hope this helps,
Josh

This is with the device plugged into the USB port, but not mounted:

# file -s /dev/da0
file /dev/da0: can't read `/dev/da0' (Input/output error).

I found out that I can mount it like this:

# mount -t msdos /dev/rd0s1 /mnt

Output with device mounted:
# file -s /dev/da0
/dev/da0: x86 boot sector

So, I can mount it now, knowing that I have to mount it as msdos, and that I must mount /dev/rda0s1 (wouldn't have thought to mount just a slice...?)

--
Darren Spruell
Sento I.S. Department