On Jul 23, 2010, at 11:24 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
It's a cartoon character. It's not an attempt to lure your children to
join Satan's armies.  There's no reason to be "deterred" from giving
FreeBSD a try just because of a friendly cartoon character.

I'm reminded of when some Christian groups called for a boycott of Apple because they had an OS project code-named "Darwin." Some people will just go out of their way to look for reasons to take offense.

I'm reminded that the SATAN network scanner project used to ship a utility with the source code that would patch it to rename it "SANTA". I suppose someone could fork a new BSD distribution with an angel for a logo, to mollify these sorts of people. Call it BlessedBSD (BleSseD?) or something. ;)